Have Fun with the Locals


My philosophy of travel includes giving something back to the places and people I visit while traveling. Sometimes it's just a laugh (playing my jaw harp on the roads in Bali to a growing crowd had old women holding their sides) or a game (an outside faucet and some balloons easily translated into a heated game of catch with local kids in the park in Batopilas at the bottom of Mexico's Copper Canyon). Rubber animal noses helped pass many an evening in the little guest houses in Nepal while trekking there 8 years ago. With some paper and crayons we made masks and had our own little halloween party. It wasn't just the kids who got involved either! I figure if I'm traveling to have fun I might as well share some of that with locals as well!

By: Explorations in Travel


More Tips:

Use Credit Cards When Possible
Tips for Travel to Russia
Take a Taxi and See the Sights
Sample Local Foods
Pack Items to Give Away
Local Flora Can Live in the Shower
Learn the Language
Do You Have the Insurance You Really Need?
Check Your Room Before You Decide to Stay
Be Safe - Drink Bottled Water
Be Organized
Rent a Car Through a European-Based Broker and Save